Richelieu Judicial District is named for Armand Jean du Plessis, who was Cardinal-Duke of Richelieu and of Fronsac and a French clergyman, nobleman and statesman and for the Richelieu River.
District: Richelieu Judicial District
Courthouse – Sorel-Tracy
Location: 46 Rue Charlotte / Rue du Prince
Built: 1968 – 1970
Architect: Jacques Racicot
Contractor: Sylvio Gendron Inc. of Shawinigan
Description: The building faces north and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a recessed first story with horizontal windows and projecting second story with small vertical windows. The entrance is located on the first story of the west side with large glass panel section above. On the west side are square towers. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Frederick Preston Rubidge of the Department of Public Works and constructed from 1859 to 1861. The contractor was Henry Benson Sinclair of Quebec City and Joseph Skelsey of Montreal. The building was demolished in 1970.
E – Drumond District
Palais de Justice
Photos taken 2016 and 2018