Joliette Judicial District is named for Barthelemy Joliette, who was a businessman who founded the city in 1823.
District: Joliette Judicial District
Old Palais de Justice – Joliette
Location: 450 Rue Saint Louis / Rue Saint Marc
Built: 1860 -1862
Architect: Frederick Preston Rubidge of the Department of Public Works
Contractor: Toussaint Vezina of Quebec City.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff coloured stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The southeast front has a projecting centre section with entrance on the first story, three large arched windows on the second story and pediment at the roof line. There are northeast and southwest wings with arched windows on the second story. Pierre Gauvreau, architect from the Department of Public Works supervised the construction. On the northwest is the new courthouse which is connected by a two story walkway. The building was enlarged in 1916. The architect was George Saint-Michel and the contractor was Alphonse Durant. The building was renovated in 1929 to 1930. The architect was Raol Chenevert and the engineer was Wilbrod Dube. The building was renovated from 1990 to 1991. In 1993, the building became a Canada Historic Site.
See: The architect Frederick Preston Rubidge of the Department of Public Works also designed courthouses in Beauce District, Bedford District. Charlevoix District, Gatineau District, Iberville District, Joliette District and Montmagny District.
Palais de Justicuse – Joliette
Location: 200 Rue Saint Marc / Rue Baby
Built: 1960 -1961
Architect: Blaise Marchand
Contractor: Gregoire Perreault Inc.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story grey coloured concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with the old courthouse on the southeast side. The northwest front has a projecting central section with glass panels. The first story is recessed with columns. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the old courthouse on the east side by an enclosed walkway.
Other Historic Palais de Justice
W – Labelle District
Photos taken 2016