Ozaukee County is the Ojibwe Native American word for the Sauk Native American nation.
Created: Match 7, 1853
Port Washington 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Port Washington
Location: 121 West Main Street / North Wisconsin Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Architect: Fred Gaff of Milwaukee
Contractor: Wurthmann and Vollar of Cedarburg.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray course stone structure. The north front has an enclosed porch on the first story with balcony above and two arched windows. Behind the entrance rises a high square stone clock tower with open section and steep roof with turrets on the corners. On either side of the tower, the building rises to a peaked roof. The east side has a small stone portico on the first story. The roof is pitched. An addition was built on the west side in 1966 and completed in 1967. The building was renovated in 1969.
N – Sheboygan County
E – Lake Michigan
S – Milwaukee County
Photos taken 2007