Milwaukee County

US States / V-Z / Wisconsin / Milwaukee County
Milwaukee

Milwaukee County is named for the Indian word “milhoke” which means “the good land”, or “gathering place by the water”, or “beautiful or pleasant lands”.

 

Created:  September 6, 1834

County Seat: 

Milwaukee  1834 – present

 

County Courthouse – Milwaukee

 

Location:  901 North 9th Street / West Wells Street

Built:  1931 – 1932

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Albert Randolph Ross of McKim, Mead and White of New York, New York

Contractor:  S M Siesel Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is an eleven story limestone and iron structure. The building sits on a small hill and has three large arched entrances in the center of the east front and arches on the north and south first story. Large stone columns rise from the fourth story. The center section rises higher than the north and south wings. During construction, the supervisor was Ostoff-Peterson and the supervising architect was Herbert Kaplan.

 

Note: Other contracts awarded on May 21, 1929

Andres Stone & Marble Company – cut stone and granite

Worden-Allen Company – structural steel erection

Walish-Duften – plastering

Northwestern Marble & Title Company – marble work

Butler & Son Company – title work

Capital Ornamental Iron Works – ornamental iron and bronze work

International Casement Company – steel windows

Art Metal Construction Company – metal door and Kalamein work

Otis Elevator Company – elevators

Wenzel & Hennnoch Company – plumbing, heating and ventilating work

Uihlein-Ortmann Electric Company – electrical work

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Milwaukee County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Ozaukee County

E – Lake Michigan 

S – Racine County

W – Waukesha County 

 

 

 

454lm07

 

 

456lm07

 

 

457lm07

Photos taken 2007