Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: July 3, 1823
St. Augustine ( St. Johns ) 1823 – 1828
Key West 1828 – present
County Courthouse – Key West
Location: 502 Whitehead Street / Fleming Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John R Scott
Contractor: William Kerr
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick and wood structure. The building has a portico on the east front with four columns on the first story and four columns on the second story supporting a pediment at the roof line. Behind the pediment is a square brick clock tower rising 100 feet, with white colored square cupola with green colored roof. There is a small portico on the south side.
County Court Complex – Key West
Location: 220 Whitehead Street / Fleming Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Edward M Ghezzi & Associates
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure.
County Justice Building – Key West
Location: NW – Whitehead Street / Southard Street
Built: 1986 – 1987
Description: The building faces east.
N – Collier County
W – Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2009