Collier County

US States / A-G / Florida / Collier County
0763F09

Collier County is named for Baron Gift Collier, who was a real estate developer and advertising mogul.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Lee County and Hendry County

E – Hendry CountyBroward County and Miami-Dade County

S – Monroe County and Gulf of Mexico

W – Gulf of Mexico 

 

Created:  May 8, 1923                            Map of Florida highlighting Collier County

County Seat:

Everglades City  1923 – 1962

East Naples        1962 – present

 

County Courthouse – East Naples

 

Location:  3315 East Tamiami Trail / Airport Road

Built:  1988 – 1990

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Winsor / Faricy Architects Inc.

Contractor:  Kraft Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of the County Government Center in the center of East Naples. The building has square pillars on a semi-circular portico on the east front with recessed glass walls. Above the portico is a semi-circular glass section. On the west side is a curved seven story addition. The building houses the Circuit Court of the 20th Judicial Circuit and County Court. In 2009, the building was expanded was the construction of a seven story wing which is connected to the main building by a four story atrium. The architect was AECOM Design and the contractor was Kraft Construction Company. Inc.

 

County Administration Building – East Naples

 

0767f09

 

Location:  3395 East Tamiami Trail / Airport Road ( East Naples )

Built:  1960 – 1962

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Bail Horton & Associates

Contractor:  W F Thompson.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is an eight story concrete and glass structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of the County Government Complex in the center of East Naples to the west of the courthouse. The south side has a projecting rectangular concrete section which rises to the flat roof line. Vertical concrete dividers run between the vertical windows. In 1974, the building was expanded as the Collier County Municipal Center. The architect was Walter L Keller of Naples and the contractor was George F Kraft Company. The building was renovated in 1990 and was named as the W Harmon Turner Building in 1999. In 2010, DBS Construction completed further renovations. The building served as the courthouse from 1962 to 1990.

 

County Government Center – North Naples

 

395f15

 

Location:  2335 Orange Blossom Drive / Airport Road

Built:  2005 – 2006

Style:  Modern

Architect:  BSSW Architects

Contractor:  DeAngelis Diamond Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story white colored concrete and glass structure. The south and east sides have a one story porch with recessed large arched windows. The building is located in North Naples.

 

Old County Courthouse –  Everglades City

 

0760f09

 

Location:  102 Copland Street / Broadway

Built:  1928

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Sparklin Gift Construction Company

Contractor:  Sparklin Gift Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story white colred structure. The building iis located on landscaped grounds in the center of Everglades City. The southwest front has wide porch with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The second story has a small balcony. In the interior there is a central corridor. The former courtroom is located at the northeast side of the second story. The building now houses the City Hall.  Additions was added to the building in 1948 and 1956. The architect was Bail Horton & Associates and the contractor was C A Tuell of Naples for both projects.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Collier County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1923 and Everglades City was selected as the county seat. The first county meeting was held at the Rod & Gun Club, which is still standing at 200 West Broadway and sessions of the court were held at the Manhatan Mercantile Building (Bank of Everglades), which is still standing. The first courthouse was the one story Collier Corporation Administration Building built in 1925. The second courthouse was built in 1928 at a cost of $24,563 and is still standing. The cost of the 1848 addition was 65,000 and the 1956 was $61,955. In 1962, the county seat was moved to East Naples. The third courthouse was a one story structure designed by Bail Horton & Associates and constructed by W F Thompson in 1961 to 1962. The fourth courthouse was enlarged in 1974 and 1990. In 2009, the building was expanded was the construction of a seven story wing which is connected to the main building by a four story atrium. The architect was AECOM Design and the contractor was Kraft Construction Company, Inc.

 

See:  The county is located in the Second Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – Second Judicial District located in Lakeland and Tampa.

 

 

0765f09

County Government Complex – map

 

 

413f15

County Courthouse – East Naples

 

 

415f15

 

 

0762f09

 

 

 

0761f09

 

 

0764f09

 

 

420f15

 

 

421f15

 

 

424f15

 

 

424f15_0

B

 

 

425f15

 

 

426f15

 

 

423f15

 

 

429f15

 

 

0768f09

County Administration Building – East Naples

 

 

0766f09

 

 

431f15

 

 

432f15

 

 

0769f09

 

 

434f15

 

 

396f15

County Government Center – North Naples

 

 

400f15

 

 

402f15

 

 

404f15

 

 

0757f09

Old County Courthouse – Everglades City

 

 

0758f09

 

 

0759f09

Photos taken 2009 and 2015