Lee County is named for Robert E Lee, who was a Confederate general in the American Civil War, and who lived from 1807 to 1870.
Created: May 3, 1887
Fort Myers 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Myers
Location: 1700 Monroe Street / Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard
Built: 1982 – 1984
Architect: Watson & Company
Contractor: Morrison-Knudsen Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The building has horizontal bands of light purple colored stone and few windows. The building is named as the County Justice Complex. In 2008 to 2011, the building was expanded with the construction of a ten story tower on the west side.On the south side, a new addition was constructed in 2008 and completed in 2010. The architect was BSSW Architests and the contractor was Balfour Beatty.
Old County Courthouse – Fort Myers
Location: 2120 Main Street / Monroe Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Neoclassical Revival
Architect: Francis J Kennard
Contractor: E P Heifner
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff brick and stone structure. The north front projects from the main building and has a recessed porch with two large columns rising to a header. Stone work runs along the roof line.
County Administration – Fort Myers
Location: 2115 2nd Street / Monroe Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: Gundersen & Wilson
Contractor: W A Berbusse Jr, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a six story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the old courthouse.
N – Charlotte County
S – Collier County
W – Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2009 and 2015