Winston County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Winston County
Winston

Winston County is named for John A Winston, who was the fifteenth Governor of Alabama.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County and Lawrence County

E – Cullman County

S – Walker County

W – Marion County

 

Created:  February 12, 1850                                                      Map of Alabama highlighting Winston County

County Seat  :        

Old Houston      1850 – 1858

Houston             1858 – 1882

Double Springs  1882 – present

 

County Courthouse – Double Springs

 

Location:  11 Blake Drive / Main Street

Built:  1893 – 1894

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Andrew Jackson Ingle with William C Miles and Coley from Birmingham

Contractor:  Andrew Jackson Ingle with William C Miles and Coley from Birmingham

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored native sand rock structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Double Springs. The south front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with clock and white colored dome at the top. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Circuit Court and the County District Court of the 25th Judicial District. 

 

Note:  In 1929 an annex was constructed at a cost of $4,000. In 1929, a wing and jail were constructed at a cost of $70,000. The architect was Warren, Knight and Davis and the contractor was Durdick, Burook and Woodcroft. In 1950, an addition was added to the east wing at a cost of $35,000. In 1962, an addition was added on the north side at a cost of $77,900. The contractor was Dobbs and Dobbs of Haleyville. Kermit Adams quarried this rock at Black Pond and laid the rock on this addition. In 1982, a wood addition was built by Nolan Smith at a cost of $38,950.

 

County Judicial Complex – Double Springs

 

1157t18

 

Location:  11 Blake Drive / Main Street

Built:  2010 – 2012

Style:  Modern

Architect:  PH&J Architects Inc. of Montgomery

Contractor:  Martin and Cobey Construction Company Inc. of Athens

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff-pink colored brick and concrete structure. The building stands on the north side of the courthouse.in the center of Double Springs and is named the “Bobby R Aderholt Judical Complex”. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The county was created in 1850 and Old Houston was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1850 at Old Houston in Hancock by 75 local workers. In 1858, the county was renamed as Winston County and the courthouse was moved to Houston. A fire destroyed the courthouse on August 23, 1864. The second courthouse was built in 1865 but burned on February 23, 1868. In 1871, the third courthouse was built. The county seat moved to Double Springs and in 1883 a wooden building consisting of two stories was built as the fourth courthouse. On August 5, 1891, fire destroyed the courthouse. In 1893, the fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $12,444.

 

 

0949a10

County Courthouse – Double Springs

 

 

0951a10

 

 

0952a10

 

 

0953a10

 

 

1149t18

 

 

1153t18

 

 

0954a10

 

 

0955a10

 

 

1156t18

County Judicial Complex – Double Springs

 

 

1158t18

 

 

1155t18

 

 

0956a10

Construction 2010

Photos taken 2010 and 2018