Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: February 6, 1818
Belgreen 1818 – 1890
Russellville 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Russellville
Location: 410 North Jackson Avenue / East Limestone Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Johnson and Jones of Starkville, Mississippi
Contractor: Craig and Baskerville Inc. of Florence
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story gray colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The northwest front has a projecting center section with six vertical dividers with entrance and clock in the center. The roof line is flat. On the southeast side is the two story buff colored brick Courthouse Annex constructed in 1936 to 1937 under the Works Administration Program. To the southwest across the street is the Elizabeth Lucas County Courthouse Annex constructed by Carl S Mitchell and Home Builders in 2002.
Note: In 1818, the first courthouse was a wood structure built by Mr. Dooley in Belgreen. In 1890, the building was destroyed by fire. The second and previous three story brick courthouse was designed by Mr. Rosseau and constructed by John Barrett in 1891 in Russellville. The building was destroyed by fire on January 13, 1953.
N – Colbert County
E – Lawrence County
Courthouse Annex 1937
County Courthouse Annex 2002
Photos taken 2010 and 2018