Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who was a naval officer during the War of 1812.
Created: February 6, 1818
Moulton 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Moulton
Location: 14330 Court Street / Main Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Warren Knight & Davis of Birmingham
Contractor: J W Chambers Lumber Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story cream colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section projects from the main building and has four pillars rising to a wide header at the roof line. The north and south sides have the same central porches. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1820 and burned on April 4, 1859. The second courthouse was designed and built by H H Higgins in 1860. The building was torn down in 1936.
County Judicial and Administrative Center – Moulton
Location: 14451 Market Street / Lawrence Street
Built: 2010 – 2012
Architect: 2WR Architects of Monterey
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white and red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the southwest of the courthouse.
County Courthouse Annex – Moulton
Location: 750 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Paul W Hofferbert and Hugh Ellis
Contractor: R P Montgomery
Description: The building faces west and is a three story white and red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting center section with glass entrance on the south side. The roof line is flat.
S – Winston County
County Judicial and Administrative Center
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2010 and 2018