Autauga County is named for the Autauga or Atagi Native American people who were a sub-group of the Alibamu.
Created: November 21, 1818
Kingston 1818 – 1868
Prattville 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Prattville
Location: 134 North Court Street / West 4th Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Bruce Architectual Company of Birmingham
Contractor: M T Lewman & Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. On the southwest corner is a high square brick clock tower with steep roof. The other corners of the building have shorter square towers. The center section has a large arch at the first story entrance, balcony above on the second story and towers rising on either side of a recessed large arched window. In 2007, an addition was built on the north side. The architect was PH&J Architects, Inc. of Montgomery and the contractor was Canndauson Construction, Inc.
See: The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Daniel Pratt Historic District
Old County Courthouse – Prattville
Location: 147 South Court Street / Hunts Street
Built: 1870 – 1871
Architect: George Littlefield Smith
Contractor: George Littlefield Smith
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the south of the present courthouse. The walls of the rectangular building have vertical pilasters with windows on the second story. The roof is hipped. On the west side is a one story section with open portico.
County Administration – Prattville
Location: 135 North Court Street / West 4th Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: PH&J Architects, Inc. of Montgomery
Contractor: First Team Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city on the west side of the courthouse. The east entrance is arched and the roof is hipped.
N – Chilton County
E – Elmore County
W – Dallas County
County Courthouse Addition
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010 and 2015