Hale County is named for Stephen F Hale, who was a lieutenant colonel in the Confederate States army.
Created: January 30, 1867
Greensboro 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Geensboro
Location: 1001 Main Street / Centreville Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: John A Straiton of Greensboro
Contractor: John A Straiton of Greensboro
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a large portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment below the roof line. There is a small balcony on the second story. There is stone trim at the corners. The center section rises with a flat white colored roof section and a high square white colored cupola with clock and green colored dome, set behind. The large courtroom is located on the second story. On the south side of the building is the old two story jail.
Note: The architect and contractor, John A Straiton, also constructed the First United Methoist Church in Greensboro.
Note: The first courthouse was the building known as Salem Baptist Church which was vacant and purchased to serve as a courthouse. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $50,000 with the addition of a clock. On March 4, 1935, fire destroyed the upper floor of the courthouse. The old belfry, with its big clock, collapsed first and then the rest of the roof. The reconstruction of the second floor was about $30,000. The new Seth Thomas clock cost $1717.50.
S – Marengo County
W – Greene County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2010 and 2018