Elmore County is named for John Archer Elmore, who was a veteran of the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 15, 1866
Wetumpka 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Wetumpka
Location: 100 East Commerce Street / Court Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Warren, Knight & Davis of Birmingham
Contractor: Algernon Blair, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored limestone structure. The north front has a recessed porch with eight large Doric columns. There are three large brass doors in the center. There are columns along the east and west sides. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1868.
County Judicial Building – Wetumpka
Location: 8935 US Highway 231 / Highway 9
Built: 1994 – 1995
Architect: Tiller Rosa Associates
Contractor: Central Contracting, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. Behind the columns are glass panels. The green colored roof is hipped.
taken 2010 and 2014