Sabine County is named for the Sabine River which forms the eastern border of the county and “sabine” is Spanish word meaning “cypress”.
Created: March 17, 1836
Milam 1838 – 1858
Hemphill 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Hemphill
Location: 201 Main Street / South Oak Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Architect: N A Dawson
Contractor: N A Dawson and James Barney Lewis
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a porch on the first story with recessed arched entrance. A wide staircase leads up to the porch. There are double pillars at each corner and at the porch area which has a pediment rising above the roof line. The base of the building is lighter red colored brick. Fire damaged the building in 1909. The building was finished in 1938 under the Works Project Administration. At rear of the building is the old buff colored stone Jail built in 1903.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1858. When the courthouse burned, the second courthouse was built in 1875.
N – Shelby County
E – Sabine Parish, Louisiana
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2010 and 2017