Newton County is named for John Newton, who was a veteran of the American Revolutionary War.
Created: April 22, 1846
Newton 1846 – 1848
Burkeville 1848 – 1855
Newton 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Newton
Location: 109 Court Street / North Rusk Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Second Empire
Architect: William Martin and Peter Moodie
Contractor: Martin & Moodie
Description: The building faces north and is a three story yellow colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section of the north front projects slightly with arched entrance on the first story and balcony on the second story. The building recesses in tiers. The east and west sides also have projecting center sections with balconies on the second story. The mansard roof has dormers. On the center of the roof is a high square truncated clock tower with mansard roof. In 1935 and 1936, an addition was constructed on the south side by Works Project Administration. In 1972 to 1973 the building was renovated. The Contractor was D E Walker and Sons. A fire gutted the building on August 4, 2000 and the building was restored in 2011 to 2012. The architect was Wharry Engineering of Garland and Quimby-McCoy Preservation of Dallas and the contractor was Joe E Jones Construction of Weathford. On the south side and joined to the building is the Law Enforcement Center constructed in 1982. The architect was Geyer Associates and the contractor was Circle Double “C” Enterprises, Inc.
Note: The cost of restoration of the courthouse in 201 to 2012 was $6,000,000.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Burkeville in 1848. The second courthouse was built on the present site in 1853.
S – Orange County
W – Jasper County
Photos taken 2011 and 2017