Jasper County

US States / O-U / Texas / Jasper County
Jasper

Jasper County is named for William Jasper, who was an American Revolutionary hero.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Angelina CountySan Augustine County and Sabine County

E – Newton County

S – Orange County

W – Hardin County and Tyler County

 

Created:  March 17, 1836                       Map of Texas highlighting Jasper County

County Seat: 

Jasper  1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jasper  

 

Location:  121 North Austin Street / East Lamar Street

Built:  1888 – 1889

Style:  Renaissance Revival

Architect:  Eugene T Heiner

Contractor:  Moodie & Ellis

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red-orange colored brick structure. The building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of Jasper. The original center section is a masonry building with a stucco exterior finish. This section projects slightly from the main building and has a peaked roof. On the center of the roof is a high square white colored cupola with clock at the top. The roof is hipped on the center section and flat on the additions. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The clock tower was added in 1890. Additions were built on the east and west sides of the main building in 1931 and the building was covered with stucco. A further one story addition was built on the east side in 1940 by the Works Progress Administration. A further addition was constructed on the east side in 1960 named as the Jasper County Building. The building was renovated in 1992 to 1993. The architect was Kin Alan Williams of The Williams Company of Austin and the contractor was Moore Brothers Company of Lufkin.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 as one of the original 23 counties and Jasper was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two room log structure built in 1837. The building was destroyed by fire in 1849. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1854. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1888 to 1889 at a cost of $21,000.. Additions have been added.

 

 

0714no11

County Courthouse – Jasper

 

 

0716no11

 

 

0717no11

 

 

0719no11

 

 

2599t17

 

 

2602t17

 

 

0720no11

 

 

0723no11

 

 

0724no11

 

 

0725no11

 

 

0726no11

 

 

0728no11

Old County Jail – Jasper

 

 

0727no11

 

 

2607t17

 

 

0733no11

Picture Second County Courthouse

 

 

0732no11

Picture Third County Courthouse

 

 

0740no11

Photos taken 2011 and 2017