Sabine Parish is named for the Sabine River which was named in 1716 by Domingo Ramon as the “Rio de Sabinas”, and after the Sabina Free State.
Surrounding Parish and County Courthouses:
N – DeSoto Parish
Created: March 7, 1843
Many 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Many
Location: 400 South Capitol Street / Main Street
Built: 1956 – 1957
Architect: J Cheshire Peyton & Associates of Shreveport
Contractor: Southern Building Inc. of Shreveport
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Many. The west front has a central recessed entrance framed with stone. The third story is recessed. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the north side of the second story.
Note: The first court met in the rented premises of the Methodist and Baptist churches. In 1880, J T Lunt built the first courthouse, a wood structure at a cost of $2500. The second courthouse was built in 1889 at a cost of $17,000, constructed by a firm from Louisville, Kentucky which was probably Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky. The third courthouse was designed by W L Stevens and constructed by Caldwell Brothers in 1916. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1956 to 1957
Parish Courthouse – Many
Photos taken 2011, 2017 and 2019