Loving County is named for Oliver Loving, who was a cattle rancher and pioneer of the cattle drive who with Charles Goodnight developed the Goodnight-Loving Trail.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Lea County, New Mexico
E – Winkler County
Created: February 26, 1887
Mentone 1893 / 1931 – present
County Courthouse – Mentone
Location: 100 Bell Street / Dallas Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Architect: Evan J Wood
Contractor: Evan J Wood
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the town. The southeast front has a framed central entrance on the first story A thin horizontal belt runs between the first and second stories and below the roof line. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the east side of the second story.
Note: The County was organized in 1931. The first courthouse was a wood structure designed by O L Shearer and built in 1931. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $25,000.
County Courthouse Annex - Mentone
Location: 100 Collins Street / Dallas Street
Built: 2010 – 2011
Style: Modern Adobe
Architect: Grimes & Associates
Contractor: Grimes & Associates
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The long rectangular building is located on the northwest side of the courthouse. The center section projects from the main building and rising to a gable roof line. Along the flat roof line are protruding logs. The building is named as the Hopper Annex Building. A porch was constructed after 2014.
Note: The cost of construction of the Courthouse Annex was $1,900,000.
County Courthouse - Mentone
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2014 and 2019