Lea County is named for Captain Joseph Calloway Lea.
Created: March 17, 1917
Lovington 1917 – present
County Courthouse – Lovington
Location: 100 North Main Street / East Washington Avenue
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: O R Walker
Contractor: W S Moss
Description: The building faces west and is a three story rectangular buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building features a number of bas relief designs on the exterior. The west front has stone trim at the central entrance. A wing was added in 1848. Another wing was added in 1957. The architect was George R Graves and the contractor was Lembke, Clough & King.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1917.
Photos taken 2007