Culberson County is named for David Browning Culberson, who was a lawyer and a soldier during the American Civil War.
Created: March 10, 1911
Van Horn 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Van Horn
Location: 301 La Caverna Avenue / East 3rd Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Pierce, Norris, Pace & Associates of Midland
Contractor: Hal K Showalter. Inc. of Midland.
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The central entrance along the west front of the rectangular shaped building is recessed with brick decorative walls on either side. The windows are vertical. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 2001. The architect was Cantrell & Stracener of Lubbock and the contractor was AAA Security Electric Company and DBA Local Contractor of Van Horn.
Note: The first courthouse was the Clark Hotel on Broadway from 1911 to 1912. The building was converted to a hotel in 1918. The second and previous courthouse was designed by E E Churchill of Fort Worth and constructed by W T Malone in 1912. The building was demolished in 1967.
E – Reeves County
W – Hudspeth County
Photos taken 2014 and 2019