Winkler County is named for Clinton McKamy Winkler, who was a judge and a Confederate colonel.
Created: February 26, 1887
Kermit 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Kermit
Location: 100 East Winkler Street / South Oak Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: David S Castle
Contractor: C S Oates and Son of Abilene
Description: The building faces south and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with six columns rising to the top of the third story with recessed windows between. A cornice runs below the fourth story which has small windows. The roof line is flat. On the north side is a one story addition.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built by Morris & Key in 1910 at a cost of $5,690. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1929 at a cost of $193,380.
E – Ector County
S – Ward County
Photos taken 2014