Ward County is named for Thomas William Ward, who was a commissioner for the General Land Office of Texas and mayor of Austin.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Crane County
W – Reeves County
Created: February 26, 1887
Barstow 1887 – 1938
Monahans 1938 – present
County Courthouse – Monahans
Location: 400 South Allen Avenue / East 4th Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Architect: Townes & Funk of Amarillo
Contractor: C S Lambie & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story white colored concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a recessed center section with entrance on the first story. The north and south projecting wings are lower in height. The windows are vertical with panels between. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. An addition was constructed in 1974. The architect was Riherd & Huckabee of Andres and the contractor was Hacor, Inc. The building was renovated in 2012. The contractor was Dinosaur Valley Construction.
See: The architect, William C Townes of Amarillo also designed the courthouses in Briscoe County, Castro County, Childress County, Hansford County, Hutchinson County, Parmer County and Potter County, and in New Mexico in Colfax County and Quay County.
See: The contractor, C S Lambie & Company, also constructed courthouses in New Mexico in Quaty County, Roosevelt County and Sierra County and in Texas in Childress County, Gregg County, Hutchinson County, Moore County and Potter County.
Note: The County was organized in 1892. The first courthouse was a sandstone structure constructed by Memory & McErvan in Barstow in 1893 at a cost of $15,182. The building was torn down. The second and present courthouse was constructed in Monahans ion 1939 at a cost of $250,000.
County Courthouse - Monahans
Picture 1893 Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2019