Aransas County

US States / O-U / Texas / Aransas County
Aransas

Aransas County is named for the Rio Nuestra Senora de Aranzazu which was a Spanish outpost.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Refugio CountyCalhoun County and Matagorda County 

E – Gulf of Mexico

S – Nueces County and San Patrico County 

W – Refugio County

Created:  September 18, 1871               Map of Texas highlighting Aransas County

County Seat: 

Rockport  1871 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Rockport  

Location:  301 Liveoak Street / Concho Street

Built:  1955 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Lynn A Evans

Contractor:  Braselton Construction Company

Description:  The building faced east and was a one story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building was located on landscaped grounds in the center of Rockport. The south section of the building was faced with white colored brick and the north section was faced with a black colored finish. Both sections were connected by a low building with glass entrance doors. The designer was O Roy Abbott. An addition was added in 1983. On the west side of the building is the County Tax Office. The building was destroyed by Hurricane Harvey and was demolished February 22, 2018 and the site remains vacant. The County Tax Office is still standing.

 

County Courthouse – Rockport  

 

2664t19

 

Location:  2840 Highway Business 35 North / Henderson Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

Description:  The building faces west and is a one store cream colored concrete structure. The building is located on the grounds of a shopping mall to the north of the center of  the city. The building was formerly the ACE Hardware Store. The west front has a projecting center section with horizontal windows and red colored tiled roof. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The county was created in 1871 and Rockport was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Rockport in 1871. The second  courthouse was designed by J Reily Gordon and the contractor was Emil Niggle and William Witte in 1889. The third courthouse was constructed in 1955 to 1956 at a cost of $480,000 and was razed in 2018. The fourth courthouse was occupied in 2018.

 

 

1313t14

Former County Courthouse – Rockport

 

 

1316t14

 

 

1317t14

 

 

1318t14

 

 

1321t14

 

 

1322t14

 

 

1324t14

 

 

1325t14

County Tax Office – Rockport

 

 

2662t19

County Courthouse – Rockport

 

 

2663t19

 

 

2667t19

 

 

2665t19

 

 

2669t19

 

 

1327t14

Picture 1889 County Courthouse

 

 

1312t14

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019