Sullivan County is named for James Sullivan, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 14, 1845
Milan 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Milan
Location: 109 North Main Street / East 3rd Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Lyle V DeWitt
Contractor: Walter Barenfanger of Vandalia, Illinois.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Indiana buff colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The building is 110 feet by 66 feet and has a projecting center section with recessed windows and entrance which rises above the roof line. The roof line is flat with a limestone cornice.
Note: The first courthouse was built by William Putnam in 1847 at a cost of $800. The second courthouse was constructed by Major John McCullough in 1857 to 1858 at a cost of $5,000. Fire destroyed the building on June 26, 1908 and the county purchased a two-story, brick building erected by the O K Railroad Company.at a cost of $6,000.
N – Putnam County
S – Linn County
Photos taken 2009