Putnam County is named for Israel Putnam, who was an American army general who fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill during the American Civil War.
Created: February 28, 1845
Putnamville 1845 – 1847
Winchester 1848 – 1851
Fairplay 1851 – 1854
Unionville 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Unionville
Location: 1601 Main Street / South 16th Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J G Braecklein of Kansas City
Contractor: George H Gassman Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored Carthage stone structure. The rectangular building is 62 by 92 feet. The north front has a small projecting entrance portico. A projecting cornice runs below the flat roof line. On each of the four sides are clocks above the roof line. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Joseph Guffey in Putnamville in 1845 for $169. A courthouse was built in Winchester in 1848 and sold in 1854. In 1851, a courthouse was built in Fairplay and sold in 1855. David Thatcher was the superintended of construction of the temporary courthouse built in Unionville in about 1853 to 1854 west of the public square. Construction on the next courthouse began in 1857 with Smith A John as superintendent of the building, which cost $11,175. The building was sold in 1890 and the county was without a courthouse for 30 years. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $128,000 in 1923.
E – Schuyler County
W – Mercer County
Photos taken 2009