Bollinger County is named for George Frederick Bollinger, who was an early settler and legislator of Missouri.
Created: March 1, 1851
Marble Hill 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Marble Hill
Location: 204 High Street / East Main Street
Built: 1885– 1886
Architect: Morris Frederick Bell
Contractor: James P Gillick of St. Louis
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a central entrance on the first story. There are stone headers above the windows. The roof line forms a peak above the entrance. The roof is hipped. The superintendent was Jacob J Conrad. The building was enlarged in 1912. The contractor was Carmen and Smith.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1852 and was destroyed by fire March 2, 1866. The second courthouse was built by James Rogers, who was also the sheriff, and supervised by Philip Sutherlin from 1866 to 1867 at a cost of $3,000. The building was destroyed by fire March 12, 1884. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $7,000.
N – Perry County
S – Stoddart County
Photos taken 2009