Lauderdale County

US States / M / Mississippi / Lauderdale County
1392M12

Lauderdale County is named for James Lauderdale, who was killed in the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Kemper County

E – Sumter County, Alabama and Choctaw County, Alabama

S – Clarke County

W – Newton County

 

Created:  December 23, 1833                                                    Map of Mississippi highlighting Lauderdale County

County Seat: 

Meridian  1833 – present

 

County Courthouse – Meridian 

 

Location:  500 21st Avenue / 5th Street

Built:  1904 – 1907

Style:  Art Deco and Beaux Arts

Architect:  Krouse and Shaw

Contractor:  Charles M Rubush

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a seven story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a projecting center section with recessed entrance on the first story and concrete framed windows above on the second and third stories. A wide cement band runs along the roof line. The upper four stories are recessed. Over the entrance rises a concrete section above the roof line. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 10th Judicial District, County Chancery Court and County Court. The building was remodeled and enlarged in 1939 under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The architect was Krouse and Brasfield and the contractor was Newton & Schmoll. In 1991, further renovation was done. The architect was Luke Mullan Kaye and the contractor was McLain Plumbing & Electrical.

 

History:  The county was created in 1833 and Marion was selected as the county seat. In 1866, the county seat was moved to Marion Station and in 1870 the county seat was moved to Meridian. The first courthouse was built in 1890 on the present site. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1903. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905.

 

County Administration Building – Meridian 

 

1408m12

 

Location:  410 21st Avenue / 5th Street

Built:  1927 – 1928

Style:  Italian Renaissance Revival

Architect:  P J Krouse

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and  is a eleven story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The first and second stories have stone facing. The interior lobby has a high ceiling. The building served as the Larmar Hotel until 1969 when it was purchased by the county and named as the Raymond P Davis County Annex Building.

 

 

1393m12

County Courthouse – Meridian

 

 

1394m12

 

 

1395m12

 

 

1400m12

 

 

1403m12

 

 

1404m12

 

 

1406m12

 

 

1407m12

County Administration Building – Meridian

 

 

1410m12

 

 

1411m12

Photos taken 2012