Sumter County is named for Thomas Sumter, who was a United States legislator.
Created: December 18, 1832
Livingston 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Livingston
Location: 115 Franklin Street / Lafayette Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Ausfield & Chapman
Contractor: C H Dabbs & Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The north front has an arched entrance in the center with small balcony above. There are arched windows on the second story. On the center of the roof is a square white cupola with silver dome. The base of the building is stone. The building was renovated from 2001 to 2002. The contractor was H & W Construction Inc. of Northport. On the south side of the courthouse is the one story red colored brick Courthouse Annex built in 1877.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Sumter County Courthouse
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1833. The second courthouse was built in 1838 and collapsed while all the personnel were out to lunch. The third courthouse burned in 1901.
N – Pickens County
S – Choctaw County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2010 and 2018