Choctaw County is named for the Choctaw Native American people who resided in the region.
Created: December 29, 1847
Butler 1847 – present
County Courthouse – Butler
Location: 117 Mulberry Avenue / West Pushmarahast Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William B Hull of Jackson, Mississippi
Contractor: Hueber Brothers
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The east front has a portico with three brick arches on the first story and four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Wide white colored eaves run along the roof line. The building was renovated in 1955. The architect was L L Brasfield and the contractor was Moody & Webb. Wings were added on the north and south sides in 1965.
N – Sumter County
Photos taken 2009