Kemper County

US States / M / Mississippi / Kemper County
1378M12

Kemper County is named for Rueben Kemper, who was a pioneer and who led a group against Spanish Mobile in 1811.

 

Created:  December 23, 1833

County Seat: 

DeKalb  1833 – present

 

County Courthouse – DeKalb 

 

Location:  SW – Main Avenue / Jackson Street

Built:  1913

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Penn Jeffries Krouse

Contractor:  Hancock & McArthur

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The center section of the building projects slightly from the main building. The third story is white colored concrete with a wall section behind the portico. There are one story wing on the east and west sides. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with red colored roof. An addition was constructed in 1970. The architect was R B Clopton and the contractor was B L Howell & Sons. In 2005 to 2007, the building was renovated. The architect was Luke Peterson Kaye and the contractor was J & J General Contractors.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Noxubee County

E – Sumter County, Alabama

S – Lauderdale County

W – Neshoba County

 

 

1381m12

County Courthouse

 

 

1382m12

 

 

1383m12

 

 

1384m12

 

 

1380m12

 

 

1379m12

 

 

1385m12

 

 

1386m12

 

 

1388m12

 

 

1389m12

Photos taken 2012