Manistee County

US States / M / Michigan / Manistee County
Manistee

Manistee County is named for the Manistee River, which derived its name from the Ojibwe name “ministigweyaa” meaning “river at whose mouth there are islands”.

 

Created:  April 1, 1840

County Seat:

Manistee  1855 – present

 

County Courthouse – Manistee  

 

Location:  415 3rd Street / Oak Street

Built:  1951 – 1952

Style:  Modern

Architect:  J & G Daverman of Grand Rapids

Contractor:  Elzinga & Volkers, Inc. of Holland

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast corner has seven high square concrete pillars supporting the over hang. The exterior of the building has Indians limestone trim  The north side windows are framed with concrete facing. The third story courtroom has natural birch wood and a black colored marble wall behind the judge’s bench.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by Watkins & Hidden of Bay City and constructed by Fry & Washer of Grand Rapids in 1876 to 1878 for a cost of $40,000. The building burned on February 23, 1950. A temporary courthouse was established at the corner of First Street and Hancock Street until the present courthouse was constructed. The cost of construction was $370,000.

 

County Administration – Manistee  

 

0481mc08

 

Location:  415 3rd Street / Oak Street

Built:  2002 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Kendra C Thompson Architects PC

Contractor:  Structural Specialties, Incorporated

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building adjoins the courthouse on the west side. The roof line is flat.

 

See:  Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky

 

Courthouses: 

N – Benzie County 

E – Wexford County

S – Lake County and Mason County

W  Lake Michigan

 

 

 

0478mc08

 

 

0479mc08

 

 

0480mc08

 

 

0487mc08

 

 

0483mc08

 

 

0484mc08

 

 

0482mc08

 

 

0485mc08

Photos taken 2008