Benzie County is named for the French name “Riviere Aux-Bec Scies or “river of saw-ducks” which became known as the Betsie River and pronounced as “Benzie”.
Created: February 27, 1863
Benzonia 1869 – 1894
Frankfort 1894 – 1908
Honor 1908 – 1916
Beulah 1916 – present
County Courthouse – Beulah
Location: 448 Court Place / Highland Drive
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Blacklock & Schwartz of Midland
Contractor: Gust Construction Company of Cedar Springs
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building sits on the side of a hill with the north part of the building being two stories. The building forms a “T” shape with a central wing extending north. There is an over hang supported by square brick pillars along the front and east and west sides. The building has solar bronze trim and non-glare glass. The building is named as the Benzie County Government Center.
Note: The cost of construction was $873,238.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Old County Courthouse – Beulah
Location: SE – Prospect Avenue / Spring Valley Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored wood structure. The building was originally an amusement center called “The Grand”, and the County leased it in 1916. The County bought the building in 1942 for $3,000. Along the west front is a long two story porch with fluted columns. The center section projects and rises to a peak with clock at the top. The roof is hipped. The building is now a condominium.
N – Leelanau County
S – Manistee County
Photos taken 2008