Lake County is named for the several small lakes within the county and for Lake Michigan.
Created: April 1, 1840
Chase 1871 – 1875
Baldwin 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Baldwin
Location: 800 Tenth Street / West Courthouse Drive
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frank P Allan & Son
Contractor: Cadillac Cabinet & Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a large portico supported by six high white columns rising to a decorated pediment at the roof line. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. On the east and west are one story wings. A large addition was added on the north side in 1998 to 2000. The architect for the addition was Gove Associates Inc. of Kalamazoo and the contractor was DeVere Construction Company Inc. of Alpena.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1886 to 1888, was destroyed by fire on April 3, 1927. The building was reconstructed at a cost of $50,000 in the same form as the previous building but without the tower.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Osceola County
S – Newaygo County
W – Manson County
Photos taken 2008