Lincoln County

US States / M / Maine / Lincoln County
0996NE14

Lincoln County is named for the city of Lincoln in England, Great Britain.

 

Created:  June 19, 1760

County Seat: 

Pownalborough  1761 – 1794

Wiscasset           1794 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wiscasset

 

Location:  32 High Street / Lee Street

Built:  1824 – 1825

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  Ebenezer Clap of Bath, John Dole of Alna and Colonel Isaac Reed of Waldoborough

Contractor:  Nathaniel Coffin and Tileston Cushing of Bath

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds along a slope in the center of the city. The central entrance on the east front is recessed with arches framing the windows on either side. On the center of the hipped roof is a white colored open cupola. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was enlarged in 1950 and in 1972.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $10,843.09. The building is the oldest courthouse in Maine still in use.

 

Old County Courthouse – Dresden

 

1008ne14

 

Location:  23 Courthouse Road / Highwat 26

Built:  1760 – 1761

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  Gershom Flagg

Contractor:  Gershom Flagg and Kennebec Proprietors

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and was built within the stockade of Fort Shirley. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Pownalsborough Courthouse and served as the courthouse from 1760 to 1794.

 

Old County Courthouse – Warren

 

0989ne14

 

Location:  280 Main Street / 4 Rod Road

Built:  1799 – 1801

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Town of Warren

Contractor:  Town of Warren

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story white colored wood structure. The building is located in the center of the town. The entrance is at the west side of the north front. The windows have green colored shutters. The roof is hipped. The building served as the eastern courthouse and is now located in Knox County and is now used as The Village Laundry.

 

Note:  Warren became a shire town and the town was persuaded to build the courthouse which served until 1847. The building was sold to the town for $51.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Kennebec County and Waldo County

E – Knox County

S – Atlantic Ocean

W – Sagadahoc County

 

 

 

0995ne14

County Courthouse

 

 

0999ne14

 

 

0997ne14

 

 

0998ne14

 

 

1000ne14

 

 

1001ne14

 

 

1003ne14

 

 

1004ne14

 

 

1821m18

 

 

1822m18

 

 

1823m18

 

 

1824m18

 

 

1825m18

 

 

1820m18

 

 

1009ne14

Old County Courthouse – Dresden

 

 

1011ne14

 

 

1012ne14

 

 

1014ne14

 

 

0990ne14

Old County Courthouse – Warren

 

 

0991ne14

 

 

0992ne14

 

 

0993ne14

Photos taken 2014 and 2018