Sagadahoc County is named for a Native American word meaning “mouth of big river”.
Created: March 14, 1854
Bath 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Bath
Location: 752 High Street / Court Street
Built: 1869 – 1870
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Francis Henry Fassett of Portland
Contractor: Reed & Nichols ( stone & masonry work ) and C H Hartwell & Company ( joiner work ).
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of the city. The east front has a projecting center section with a one story portico supported by four columns and having a flat roof. The second story window is arched with pediment at the roof line. The second story windows are arched. Above the pediment rises a square brick cupola with green colored dome. The roof is mansard. The courtroom is located on the second story. An addition was constructed on the west side of the building in 1987.
District Courthouse – West Bath
Location: 101 Meadows Road./ Lemont Drive
Built: 1989 – 1991
Architect: Winton Scott Architects
Contractor: Pelletier & Flanagan
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds along the north side of Highway 1. The west front has a central entrance with high portico. The north and south wings have large vertical windows. The roof line is flat. The building houses the West Bath District Court.
N – Kennebec County
E – Lincoln County
S – Atlantic Ocean
Photos taken 2014 and 2018