Knox County is named for Henry Knox, who was the first United States Secretary of War and who lived in Thomaston, Maine.
Created: April 1, 1860
Rockland 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Rockland
Location: 62 Union Street / Limerock Street
Built: 1874 – 1875
Architect: Gridley James Fox Byrant of Boston, Massachusetts and Louis P Rogers
Contractor: William H Clover, Edward K Clover and Albert D Lowry.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has a half story base of granite which supports the brick building and required a flight of stairs to the entrance, covered by an elegant portico supported by four Doric columns. A Palladian window above the portico looked out onto a little balcony surrounded by a granite balustrade. On the roof is a cupola and a pointed weather vane. The sides of the building were graced by the two-story windows, which provided light for the courtroom. Surrounding the roof line was a heavy cornice with an iron balustrade around it. Four chimneys on each side with two on the front facade completed the design. The large courtroom is located on the second story. On the south side of the building a large red colored brick and concrete addition was constructed from 1976 to 1978. The architect was Scott Simons Architects and the contractor was Wright-Ryan.
Note: The total cost of construction of the courthouse was $81,000 with the accepted construction bid being $50,024.
N – Waldo County
E – Hancock County
S – Atlantic Ocean
W – Lincoln County
New Courthouse Addition
Photos taken 2014 and 2018