Saint James Parish is named for James the Just, who was a relative of Jesus Christ and the first bishop of Jerusalem.
Created: March 31, 1807
Convent 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Convent
Location: 5800 Highway 44 / Canalella Street
Built: 1969 – 1970
Architect: Hamilton, Meyer and Associates Inc.
Contractor: Union Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white colored concrete and glass structure. The south front has a recessed entrance on the first story with stairs to the second story. The windows are large. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Andrew J Bryan and constructed by M T Lewman in 1904.
N – Ascension Parish
S – Lafourche Parish
Photos taken 2011