Lafourche Parish is named for the French word “la fourche” meaning “the fork” of the Mississippi River.
Created: April 10, 1805
Thibodaux 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Thibodaux
Location: 200 Green Street / West 3rd Street
Built: 1858 – 1862
Style: Beaux Arts and Baroque
Architect: John Lyall, F Michael and A B Thibodaux
Contractor: John Lyall, F Michael and A B Thibodaux
Description: The building faces west and is a two story masonry sheathed in white colored stucco structure. The original building has a south and east wing added in 1903 and a southeast added in 1951 and north wing added in 1958. The west front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a rounded dome. The architect for the 1903 additions was Favrot & Livaudais. In 1958, the architect was Fernand T Piou and the contractor was J B Talley & Company. The building was renovated in 1959.
Note : The first courthouse was built in in 1818 and the second courthouse built in 1846. In 1852, the Parish Police Jury appointed John Lyall, F Michael and A B Thibodaux to develop plans and oversee the construction of the present courthouse which is the second oldest courthouse in Louisiana, still in use.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Lafourche Parish Courthouse
S – Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2011