Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who was a naval commander during the War of 1812.
Created: December 14, 1821
Louisa 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Louisa
Location: 122 South Cross Main / Madison Street
Built: 1961 – 1964
Architect: James E Moore of Ashland
Contractor: W B Fosson & Sons of Ashland
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story glass, gray colored panels and stone structure. The southwest front has a canopy over the central first story entrance. The main central part of the building rises to a sloped roof and has few windows. The north and south wings have horizontal windows and slopped roofs.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1870 and an addition was added in 1922. The building was demolished..
E – Wayne County, West Virginia
Photos taken 2012