Boyd County is named for Linn Boyd, who was a United States Congressman and Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Greenup County and Lawrence County, Ohio
E – Wayne County, West Virginia
S – Lawrence County
W – Carter County and Greenup County
Created: February 16, 1860
Catlettsburg 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Catlettsburg
Location: 2800 Louisa Street / 28th Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville
Description: The building faces east and is a three story Indiana limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Catlettsburg. The east front has a large porch supported by four large columns rising to a header at the roof line. The north and south sections project from the main building. The north side has a similar portico. Along the flat roof line is a balustrade. On the south side of the building, an addition was constructed in 1930 on the south side. The architect was Henry Norton Foster and the contractor was W I Kalter. In 1953 another addition housing the jail was added on the west side. On the south side is the one story County Courthouse Annex.
Note: The building was the first courthouse in Kentucky with air conditioning.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC. and the contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
County Justice Center – Catlettsburg
Location: 2805 Louisa Street / 28th Street
Built: 2008 – 2010
Architect: Louis & Henry Architecture
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces west and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Catlettsburg on the east side of the courthouse. The building is named as the C David Hagerman Justice Center. The north section has a curved section with glass walls. On the south side of the curved section are two towers. Further south is a section with vertical dividers and recessed glass walls. There is further tower at the south end and a walkway across the street to the courthouse. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County District Court of the 32nd Judicial District.
See: The contractor was Codell Construction Company of Winchester which company constructed many courthouse in Kentucky ( see Louisville ).
History: The county was created in 1860 and Catlettsburg was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1860. The building was razed in 1910 when the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2008 to 2010 at a cost of $18,855,000.
County Courthouse - Catlettsburg
Statue Judge John M Elliott
County Courthouse Annex - Catlettsburg
County Justice Center - Catlettsburg
Photos taken 2012