Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: January 18, 1842
Wayne 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Wayne
Location: 700 Hendricks Street / Hall Street
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Milburn Heister & Company of Washington, DC
Contractor: King Lumber Company Builders
Description: The building faces east and is a three story orange colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The east front has a central entrance framed with stone. Above the entrance are three windows on the second story. A wide horizontal band runs below the roof line. On the roof is a square cupola with clock and gold colored drum above a bell. On the west and south sides are new additions. In 1940, the architect was Levi J Dean and in 1971, the architect was Robert L Brown.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank Pierce Milburn and constructed by Big Four Counstruction Company. The building was destroyed by fire in 1921.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
S – Mingo County
Photos taken 2012