Johnson County is named for Richard Mentor Johnson, who was Vice President of the United States from 1837 to 1841.
Created: February 24, 1842
Paintsville 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Paintsville
Location: 338 2nd Avenue / Court Street
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: James Allen Clark of Winchester
Contractor: Big Sandy & Ohio Valley Corporation
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The first story is recessed with white colored pillars supporting the second and third stories. Green colored panels divide the windows on the second and third stories. Red colored brick faces the north side. The southeast section of the building extends south from the main building. The building was renovated in 1976. The architect was Meriwether Kennedy Hisel and the contractor was James N Gray Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank P Milburn and constructed in 1890.
County Judicial Center – Paintsville
Location: 908 Third Avenue / Highway 460
Built: 2005 – 2006
Style: Modern Greek Temple
Architect: Vaughn & Metlor
Contractor: Coddell Construction Company of Winchester.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story stone and concrete structure. The north front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat.
N – Lawrence County
E – Martin County
S – Floyd County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018