Kenton County is named for Simon Kenton, who was a frontiersman and an early pioneer.
Created: January 29, 1840
Covington 1840 – present
Independence 1840 – present
County Courthouse – Independence
Location: 5273 Madison Pike / McCullum Road
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Robertson and Frahnestock
Contractor: Northcutt Brothers
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a large porch with four large white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed and above are arched windows on the second story. On the center of the sloped roof is a large octagonal shaped cupola with gold colored dome at the top. The courtroom is located on the second story. On the north side of the building is the one store white colored brick Clerk’s Office.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1840.
County Justice Center – Covington
Location: 230 Madison Avenue / East 3rd Street
Built: 1976 – 1978
Architect: KZF Design Inc. of Cincinnati, Ohio
Description: The building faces southwest and is a six story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The southwest corner has a three story curved section with two columns and recessed entrance. Behind, the main building rises to a high brick tower on the southwest. The west side has a multitude of vertical and horizontal dividers with windows between. The south side has fewer windows and white polished stone on the lower section. There is a similar tower on the southeast corner.
N – Hamilton County, Ohio
E – Campbell County
W – Boone County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018