York County is named for Prince Frederick, who was the Duke of York and Albany and the second son of King George III of Great Britain.
Courthouse – Newmarket
Location: 50 Eagle Street West / Yonge Street
Built: 1977 – 1981
Architect: Boigon and Armstrong Architects of Richmond Hill
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red coloured brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a one story entrance lobby with glass walls. The building rises with several high sections and projecting sections. On the north side the bottom floor is exposed along the side of a slope. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice
Old Couthouse – Newmarket
Location: 460 Botsford Street / Main Street
Built: 1882 – 1883
Architect: Mallory and Sons of Toronto
Contractor: Walter Page
Description: The building faces north and is a two story bluff coloured brick structure. The north front has a high bell tower of white coloured wood and steep roof. The roof is hipped. The building was constructed as the Town Hall and Market.
Note: The building is modeled after the Grand Opera house in Toronto.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Simcoe County
E – Durham County
S – Toronto Region
W – Peel County
Photos taken 2014