Durham County is named for Durham County and the City of Durham in England.
Created: July 16, 1792
Whitby 1792 – present
Old Courthouse – Whitby
Location: 416 Centre Street South / Ontario Street
Built: 1853 – 1854
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frederick William Cumberland and William George Storm
Contractor: James Wallace
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red coloured brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has a large portico with four Doric columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the centre of the roof is a round cupola with white coloured dome. The building is now used as a theatre.
Courthouse – Whitby
Location: 605 Rossland Road East / Gardenock Street
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: Brisbin Brook Beynon of Ottawa
Contractor: Ellis Don Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a six story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a central entrance with glass panels. The windows are horizontal. A one story wing on the south side extends west. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Regional Municipality of Durham offices.
Courthouse – Oshawa
Location: 150 Bond Street East / Carriage Works Drive
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: WZMH Architects
Contractor: PCL Construction Canada Inc., Babcock & Brown Infrastructure Group and Johnson Controls LP
Description: The building faces west and is a ten story glass, cladding and concrete structure. The west front has a large plaza with recessed central entrance. The building is constructed in sections with a high central tower. The lobby is spacious. The building has thirty three court rooms. The building houses the Ontario Court of Justice ( Criminal ).
Note: The previous courthouse was located at 242 King Street East / Ritson Road. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $334,000,000.
N – Simcoe County
S – Lake Ontario
Photos taken 2014 and 2017