Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: October 17, 1828
Fayetteville 1828 – present
County Courthouse – Fayetteville
Location: 280 North College Street / Dickson Street
Built: 1985 – 1986
Description: The building faces west and is a five story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a semi-circular projection in the center with open sections. The roof line is flat. The building was constructed by the First South Savings & Loan Building and was known as First South Centre. The county purchased the building in 1990.
Old County Courthouse – Fayetteville
Location: 4 South College Street / Center Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Richardson Romanesque
Architect: Charles L Thompson
Contractor: George Donaghey
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a porch on the first story with three arches. There are round towers on each corner with conical roofs. Above the west entrance rises a high square brick tower with clock and steep roof.
N – Benton County
E – Madison County
S – Crawford County
W – Adair County, Oklahoma