Madison County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Madison County
Madison

Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.

 

Created:  September 30, 1836

County Seat:        

Huntsville  1836 – present

 

County Courthouse – Huntsville

 

Location:   201 West Main Street / Hughes Street

Built:  1938 – 1939

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  T Ewing Shelton and E Chester Nelson

Contractor:  R A Hughes

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Huntsville. The north front of the rectangular shaped building has three central entrances. On the second and third stories are vertical windows. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The court met in a barn in 1836. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1839 at a cost of $150. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1845 and burned in 1863. The third courthouses was built in 1871 and burned in 1879. The fourth courthouse was a brick structure built in 1881 and burned in 1890. The fifth courthouse was a native stone structure constructed in 1905. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1938.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Carroll County

E – Carroll County and Newton County 

S – Johnson County, Franklin County and Crawford County

W – Washington County and Benton County

 

 

 

0557a11

County Courthouse – Huntsville

 

 

0560a11

 

 

0558a11

 

 

0561a11

 

 

0562a11

 

 

0563a11

 

 

0564a11

 

 

0556a11

Photos taken 2011