Nolan County

US States / O-U / Texas / Nolan County
1177TW14

Nolan County is named for Philip Nolan, who was a mustanger who was killed by Spanish troops in 1801.

 

Created:  August 21, 1876

County Seat: 

Sweetwater  1892 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sweetwater

 

Location:  100 East 3rd Street / Oak Street

Built:  1976 – 1977

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  Welch and Hampton

Contractor:  Hambrick-Craig Construction

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story light yellow colored exterior and concrete structure. There are few windows and entrances are recessed. The roof line is flat. Flagstone now faces the projecting end sections of the building. The courtrooms are located on the second story. The building was renovated in 2013 to 2014. The pink granite exterior has now been replaced.. The architect was Wiginton Hooker Jeffry and the contractor was Turner Construction Company.

 

638texas06

Courthouse before renovation

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1882. The second courthouse was designed by James E Flanders in 1888. The third and previous courthouse was designed by Charles Henry Page and constructed by W P Berry & Company in 1917. The fourth courthouse was remodeled in 2014 when the siding fell off the building.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Fisher County

E – Taylor County

S – Runnels County and Coke County

W – Mitchell County

 

 

 

1173tw14

County Courthouse

 

 

1174tw14

 

 

1175tw14

 

 

1178tw14

 

 

1180tw14

 

 

1181tw14

 

 

1185tw14

 

 

1186tw14

 

 

2079t19

 

 

2080t19

 

 

2081t19

 

 

2082t19

 

 

2083t19

 

 

2085t19

 

 

2086t19

 

 

2087t19

Inde

 

 

1188tw14

 

 

1189tw14

Cornerstone 2014

 

 

636texas06

Courthouse before renovation

 

 

637texas06

 

 

1190tw14

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019