Fisher County is named for Samuel Rhoads Fisher, who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Created: August 21, 1876
Roby 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Roby
Location: 112 North Concho Street / 1st Street South
Built: 1971 – 1972
Architect: Lovett and Sellar and Associates
Contractor: W B Oats Construction Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story light colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city.The southwest entrance is framed with glass with a black colored metal roof slanting upwards. The same type of black slant roof is over each window. The windows are narrow and vertical. The interior has a large atrium with skylights. The Courthouse Annex was constructed as an annex to the previous courthouse and the building is attached to the present courthouse. The annex was designed by Lovett and Sellar and Associates and constructed by Haney Construction Company in 1965.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Andrew J Byran and constructed by W C Whitney in 1909 to 1910.
Old County Jail – Roby
Location: 1st Street North / Angelo Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Andrew J Byran
Contractor: W C Whitney
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north entrance is framed with a high columns on either side which rises to the top of the second story. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse.
E – Jones County
S – Nolan County
W – Scurry County
Photos taken 2006 and 2014