Mitchell County is named for Asa Mitchell and Eli Mitchell, who were two early settlers and soldiers in the Texas Revolution.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Scurry County
E – Nolan County
W – Howard County
Created: August 21, 1876
Colorado City 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Colorado City
Location: 349 Oak Street / West 3rd Street
Built: 19237 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: David S Castle of Abilene
Contractor: J H Reddick
Description: The building faces east and is a three story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The east front has an extended center section with six large white colored columns rising from the top of the first story to the top of the third story. Behind the columns are white colored panels. On the first story are three entrance doorways. A large white header runs to the roof line. Two white colored horizontal bands are near the roof line. The District Court courthouse is located on the east side of the second story and the County Court courtroom is located on the first story. The building was remodeled in 1965. The architect was Allen & Allen and the contractor was G A Jones & S L Jones.
Note: The first courthouse was a brick Italianate structure designed and built by Martin, Byrnes and Johnston in 1883. The building was demolished when it was discovered that it was on the wrong land. The second courthouse was a brick Italianate structure designed by Jasper N Preston and F E Ruffini and was built in 1885 by Martin, Byrnes and Johnston.
County Courthouse - Colorado City
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019